If you’re experiencing knee pain, it’s very likely you have knee arthritis, which is worn down cartilage in your knee that causes dysfunction and pain. The experienced team at Star Health & Aesthetics, can determine if your knee pain is due to arthritis or cartilage problems in the knee and provide the most appropriate treatment.
Fix your pain with our s.t.a.r METHOD.
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (also called degenerative joint disease) is wear and tear in the joint. More specifically, of the articular cartilage. As the disease progresses, the cartilage itself becomes thinner and in some cases may wear away altogether. As a result, the bone itself starts to wear.
In addition, the bones themselves become thicker and may form bony “spurs”. The synovial membrane also becomes inflamed.
All of these factors cause pain and impaired movement in the joint. Osteoarthritis can form in any joint but is more common in weight-bearing joints such as the knee and hip.
Articular cartilage is a smooth, hard, fibrous tissue that covers the ends of bones. Also known as hyaline cartilage its function is to protect the ends of the bones and lubricate the joint movement.
In the knee, there are two semi-circular discs of fibrous cartilage called menisci. They provide support and cushioning for the knee.
The synovial membrane surrounds the joint and produces a lubricating fluid called synovial fluid.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis in the knee
- A deep aching pain in the inner knee.
- Pain is often worse after exercise.
- Joint stiffness, particularly in the morning, however, this often reduces with movement.
- Sometimes a clicking or cracking noises when you bend your knee.
What Causes Knee Arthritis?
Causes of osteoarthritis include a history of acute injury to the medial knee. For example, meniscal or ligament trauma, prolonged and excessive use of the knee joint.
Previous fractures at the site of the knee joint, obesity, and genetic factors can all play a role in the development of osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis of the knee is common in people over 50 years of age, in particular in women. It can affect either one knee (unilateral) or both knees (bilateral).
Osteoarthritis occurs in the inside of the knee (medial) or the outside (lateral) aspect of the knee. However, it occurs more commonly on the inner (medial) aspect of the knee.
Knee osteoarthritis is common in individuals who play intense physical sports, such as football. The previous injury to the knee is a strong indicator for the development of osteoarthritis in the future. Symptoms develop slowly over a number of years.
How is knee arthritis traditionally treated?
Typical treatments for knee arthritis includes a series of at-home exercises, rest, ice, and stretching to help reduce the pain in your knee. If this fails, the following treatments are typically tried.
- Knee braces
- Hot & cold therapy
- Weight loss
- Joint lubrication injection
Extreme cases may require knee replacement surgery. Both half and total knee replacements are available.
|Cost||HSA, FSA, Interest Free Payment Plan Eligible||Deductible, co-pay, medications, time-off work, etc.|
|Risk||No known side effects||Blood clots, infection, poor outcome, addiction to pain medications|
|Pain||Little to none||Can be severe for months|
|Recovery||Immediate||Months / Years|
Fix your arthritis knee pain with Shockwave Therapy (ESWT™)
Powered by STORZ Medical
Radial Pressure Wave (RPW) + Focused Shock Wave (FSW)
Our star METHOD stops knee pain because it corrects the reason for the knee pain, plain and simple. S.T.A.R. Therapy targets the damaged soft tissue structures that are causing the underlying knee instability which, in turn, causes destructive joint motions that erode the cartilage. By stabilizing knee joint motion, S.T.A.R. Therapy can stop the accelerated degenerative cascade!
- Our Shockwave Therapy in Columbus, OH utilizes the most advanced and highly effective non-invasive treatment method that utilizes technology cleared by the FDA. This proprietary technology is better than those of classical treatments owing to the regenerative processes induced (angiogenesis and mechanotransduction). This regeneration allows for the stimulation of metabolism, enhanced blood circulation, and an accelerated healing process.
- Shockwave Therapy treats, acute or chronic musculoskeletal pain, and pain that significantly impairs mobility or quality of life including:
- Ligament Sprains
- Muscle Strains
- Tendon or tendon insertion pain
- Trigger points
Check out our complete list of Injuries we treat
- Some patients report immediate pain relief and increased range of motion after the treatment. Since the regenerative processes of the body are being restored, patients have a lower chance of pain recurring. STARTwave eliminates pain and restores full mobility, thus improving your quality of life. Over 89% of patients treated report to be pain free and have significant pain reduction.
- Injuries are first accurately diagnosed and the underlying cause of the pain is identified. A skin gel is then applied to the treatment area to allow the shock waves to be introduced into the body without any loss of energy. After these preparations, shock waves are applied as the therapy head is moved over the pain region in a circular motion.
- Yes. Extensive clinical studies and tests have confirmed its safety and efficacy. The technology that is used as part of STARTwave was developed in Europe, is FDA approved, and is currently used around the globe.
- Treatment sessions take approximately 10 minutes depending on the disorder to be treated. Generally, 5 treatment sessions are necessary over the course of 3 weeks for optimal results.
- The non-invasive treatment has virtually no side effects. In some cases patients may experience some minor discomfort which may continue for a few days. In a similar way that it is normal to have some residual pain after intense exercise or a full day of work.
- Your doctor will provide you with information about how these and other conditions might affect the determination to perform EPAT.
- DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- When Shockwave Therapy is performed by a Certified Provider like, ESWT has a proven success rate greater than that of traditional treatment methods (including surgery). Without the risks, complications, or lengthy recovery time. The treatment does not require anesthesia and has no downtime.
Jumpstart your journey to your best life today!